How to Join Our Genealogy Forum
Our Bisonorbits Volume 2 Genealogy Forum is a private forum for family members. It is intended to supplement our online MyHeritage family tree, so (initially at least) it is limited to relatives of the Varro and Hassett families.
You will need the following things to register. Details about each item are provided below.
- An invitation code requested from Jim Hassett
- A user name of your choice
- A suitable password of your choice
- An email address at which you can be reached
Once you have an invitation code and some idea of a user name, go to the registration page, fill it in and hit the “Register my account now!” button. If the submitted information is accepted, you will immediately be logged in.
An email message will also be sent to the address you provided, and you should open the message and hit the “Activate NOW” button to activate your account. Until you activate your account, your actions on the website will be limited.
Contact Jim Hassett (the owner and administrator of this website and the forum) asking him to provide an invitation code for the Genealogy Forum.
- His preferred email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can send him a message using the Volume 2 Contact Page.
- Feel free to contact him by other means if you know how to reach him.
If he might not know you, please explain your relationship to the Hassett or Varro families.
Invitation codes have an expiration date (after one week, by default).
You'll need a name that is not already being used. Since the group of users is rather small, that shouldn't be a big problem (but "Hassett" might not be a good choice, for example). Even just your first name or nickname could work well (unless it's already taken).
- User names can only contain letters, digits, hyphens (-), periods (.), and underscores (_).
- User names can be up to 20 characters long.
- User names are not case sensitive, so “JOE”, “Joe”, “joe”, and “jOe” are all treated as identical.
While you might regard this website as low risk, remember that your password will provide access to information about you and about other users. Please choose a good password and protect it.
- Passwords must be at least eight characters long.
- Passwords are case sensitive, and it's good to use both upper and lower case.
- Passwords should contain at least one special character (like ! $ * - _ + etc.).
- Passwords cannot contain the following characters: < > &
You will need to provide a valid email address at which you can be reached (because the registration process requires you to use a message sent to the address you provide).
The system we use requires that each registered user must have a different email address, so people who use only a shared email address will need to share a single membership.